Are You Certain?
I brag about the fact that I rarely catch a cold or flu. I never get sick. But here I am, in bed…sick. I certainly didn’t expect to spend my weekend in bed. Between the time your slapped on the back in maternity to the time your slapped on the slab in the mortuary everything in life is uncertain. Except death and taxes, can’t forget death and taxes.
Expectations are a mental representation of what our future will look like. When we are certain about something we are projecting out in the future what we believe to be true. The problem is that these expectations, these certainties come from our past knowledge. From the standpoint of what we know. But how can we know what the future holds?
We do know what happens to us if the future turns out to be different then what we expected. Most of us are thrown off by the unexpected, the uncertainties in life. The unexpected has tremendous power to create emotional misery and unhappiness. This doesn’t have to be the case.
I try to adopt the attitude that anything can happen. Not everything must be in our control or understanding. No matter what life throws at you, learn to embrace uncertainty. Learn to embrace the moment and live in the now. Even if the now is stuck in your bed sick (cough).
Let’s apply this to goal setting;
- Nobody can be certain how things will turn out, but you still have to go ahead and play the game.
- The only thing certain is uncertainty so be open to it, embrace it. You don’t need to know what is going to happen next.
- Don’t expect everything you try will succeed. It’s a numbers game.
- You give it everything you’ve got even though the results are hardly ever what you expect.
- Sometimes, when you least expect it, amazing things do happen.
If you aren’t in the moment, you are either looking forward to uncertainty, or back to pain and regret. -Jim Carrey